Home

Timeine for Michelangelo Models in the Von Praun Collection...Provenance



1475  Michelangelo (1475-1564) creates hundreds of models
      in clay, wax, and stucco for his sculptures, buildings,
      and paintings.

1531  Michelangelo gives his student Antonio Mini
      two large boxes of models.  Mini takes the
      models to Paris and dies shortly after ariving there.

1532  Florintine Sculptor Giovanni Rustici(1474-1554)
      happened to be in Paris at the time, when Mini died.
      Rustici, returned some of the models, probably the 40, to Florence
      Italy. As a student Rustici would have recognized the
      work of his teacher Michelangelo. He probably took the
      smallest models that would survive the trip back to Italy.

1533  Michelangelo summoned the sculptor Ribolo(1485-1550)
      to Florence from Loreto and gave him the allegorical
      figure of Earth and Heaven to work on for the Medici Chapel


1564  Michelangelo dies.  A few weeks before he dies Michelangelo orders
      all his drawings, sketches, and models be destroyed.  The Sistine
      cartoon were destroyed as were many other works of art.  Michelangelo
      did this because he did not want others to know how he worked.


15??  Tintoretto(1518-1594) ended up with some of
      the models who made sketches
      of them and used them in the background of some of his
      paintings after Miochelangelo died.

15??  Johann Gregor Van der Schardt also may have
      acquired some of the models after the masters
      death.

158?  Vasari gets the collection


1598  Either Vasari's  heir,  Chevalier George Vasari
      or Johann Gregor Van der Schardt (according to
      Soethby's   sell the model collection
      the rich Silk king"
      Paul Van Pruan(1548-1616) in Bologna, Italy. Praun was collecting artifacts of
      famous artists of the time.

1616  At his death, Von Prauns art collection was moved
      to his heirs in Nuremberg, Germany, as a "Family Trust"
      according to Von Prauns will said the art collection could never
      be sold. After his death and untill it was sold
      nothing was added to the collecttion.
      The collection  became a privately owned
      treasure of that city and was known as the famous "Praunsche Kabinett".

1797  Charistophe Theophile Murr compiles a catalogue of the items in
      the Von Praun Collection. According to the the Murr Catalgue
      Von Pruan collection included over 250 paintings; 2 by Raphael,
      1 byLeonardo de Vinci, 2 by Andrea del Sarato, 2 by Tintoretto,
      10 by Albrecht Durer, 1 by Peter (the droll)  Brudghel,  1 by his son
      Peter (hell fire) Brueghel, 2 by Titian, 17 by Denis Calvaret

      Other paintings by artists included:Dosso Dossi, Vasari, Varavaggio,
      Parmiginino, Mantega,   Lucas Cranch, and Jacob Jordaens


      The collectin included 4,700 copper and wood engravings and 122 bronzes.
      It included 104 coper plates and 350 prints from wood-cuts  by Durer.
      Von Praun  bought it from the heirs of Wencslas Jammitzer who obtained
      them directly from Durer and from his younger brother Andre.


      The collection also included a large number of drawings by: 18 by Michelangelo
      3 by Denis Calvaret, 5 by annibale Carracci, 4 by  Domenichino,  8 by
      Dosso Dossi, 30 by Guilo Romano, 4 by Andrea Mantega, 29 by Raphael 15 by Albrecht
      Durer, 4 by A ndrea del Sarto , 4 by Albrecht Altdorfer, 12 by Pamigianino,
      4 by Lucas Cranach, 15 by Martin Schongauer, 5 by Tintoretto, and many others
      by Vasari, Lucas van Leyden, Guercino, Primaticcio, Correggio, Titian.  There are
      presently in the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts
      many fine drawings from the von Praun Collection, and foremost among them
      are some drawings from  scongauer's workshop, including "Annunciation",
      2 sketches by Durer, Baldung Grien and Altdorfer.

1803  Von Praun Collection sold to J.F.Fruenholz (1758-1822)

1803  The entire collection was sold to Prince Nikolaus
      Esterhazy (1756-1833) with the exception of some
      drawings and the models sculpted by Michelangelo. The
      647 pieces bought by the Prince were installed in Vienna,

      Unfortuanely, during disturbances in Vienna in the mid-nineteenth century,
      the major portions (and principal pieces) of the
      Esterhazy Collection were
      stolen or sold and in 1870 the remmants
      were moved to Budapest where they remain today.

1803  Lt. Col Von Gemmingen of Nuremberg.
      buys the models from  from Frauenholz

1842  Professor Julious Haehnel of Dresden(1811-1891) a
      a architect and sculptor while viewing the Gemmingen
      collection discovered the models and bought them.
      The "Evening" model form the "Phases of Day" in San Lorenzo
      was missing. The other models "Day", "Night", and "Dawn"
      were in the Gemmingen Collection.

1869  Haehnel sold Medici Madona model to the Kaiser
      Fredrick Museum in Berlin Germany
      During WW II it was destroyed all except for
      the head of the model

1870  Photographs were taken of the Haehnel collection.

1875  Haehnel exhibited his model collection
      on in Dresden Germany on the 400 aniversary
      of Michelangelo's birth.

1876  Haehnel exhibits models in Florence, Italy.

1891  Haehnel's wife Elise Walter Haehnel ,
      inherits the models

190?  Haehnel's daughters Anna and Elisabeth Haehnel in Dresden
      inherits the models


190?  Art collector A. von Bermus of Berlin buys terracotta
      model of the "left hand of the Giuliano de Medici" from
      the Haehnel Collection



1913  Professor George Lehnert  values the model
      collectin at 1,472,680 marks. The mark was worth
      23 cents in 1913  and worth US $338,716 in 1913.

1913  Henry Thode writes a book about the models in 1913

1922  South West African trust Land Company buys the models from
      Ernest Haehnel's estate

1924  40 photographs of the Haechel Collection is
      published in a rare german book "Michelangelo, Die errakotten
      Aus Der Sammlung Haehnel" by art critic Julius Meier-Graefe


190?  Dr. A.B. Heyer buys the models

1938  Hayers 33 Models sold at Christe Auction in London. Only 4 people
      owned the models since they were sold in 1803
      There were 7 buyers of the models at the 1938 auction.

      Paris art dealer Dr. von Frey, acquired one of the
      larger models at the Christee auction and resold this
      model to a unknown Australian Museum.


      18 of the models were purchased by
      Montreal mining promoter Percival Wolfe.

 



      Four of the Christie models are sold:
      The models "Dawn", "the right arm of christ"
      "Pieta in St Peters", and "Right hand of Moses"
      is in the Victoiria and ALbert Museum in London
      England


      The Chrisite's  "Day" model  is now in the Museum
      of Fine Arts in Houston,  Texas

      The Christie's terracota plaque  is in the Morgenroth Collection
      at the University of California at Santa Barbara

      Eleven of the models sold in 1938 are not accounted for
      This includes the model sold to a Australian Museum.

194?  terracotta model of the "left hand of the Giuliano de Medici"
      purchesed from daughter of von Bermus and added to the the
      Vancouver Collection. the Vancouver collection now has 18 models.



19??  Before his death Percival Wolfe bequeathed the his 18
      models to his twin sons, Peter and Paul
      LeBrooy, who by that time had moved to
      Vancouver.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Blockbuster+donation+Michelangelo+sculptures+turns+into+multi+million+dollar+bust/7875342/story.html#ixzz2azkPsN9g


197?  Lebrooy Models inherited by James Lebrooy and his sister


1972  Paul Lebrooy wrote and published a book
      called Michelangelo’s Models, to coincide
      with a cross-Canada tour sponsored by the
      Rothman’s tobacco company.


1973  Rothman Pall Mall Tobacco Company sponsors a Canadian Tour of
      the clay statues, after the publication of Lebrooys book Michelangelo's
      Models in 1972.

1978  Cascade Gallery in Seattle. The Vancouver Collection
      were displayed to the public from Dec/1977 to March/1978.
      This is the last time the public has seen the collection.


1994  Oxford University tested four of the models
      and dated them to the pre-Renaissance era,
      but exactly who created them has never
      been definitively established.


1994  The brothers Paul and Peter agreed to split
      the collection.

1996  Paul LeBrooy sold his half of the
      collection to a private investment
      bank called Corporate House
      which put together a syndicate of 66
      investors to buy it and donate it
      to the Vancouver Musuem in 1977 for a tax
      credit of $17.8.  It was apprassied
      by three experts in secret. The lowest
      estimate was taken

1999 Paul died and his half of the
     collection passed to his wife Enid.


2006 Enid asks Corporate House to arrange for a
     a consortium of investors to buy the
     models and donate them to the
     Vancouver musuem for a tax credit
     of $13.5 million


2010  Lebrooy Collection is currently under study for display or sale.
      Hopefully, the public will be able to view it before 2100.

2013  The Vancouver museum decides to flip the
      models for $31 million in cash.  It asks Soethby's in New
      York to sell 9 of the models.  Sotheby's
      says the models are not by Michelagelo but by




      
      Johann Gregor Van der Schardt.  The models
      do not sell at auction  January 31, 2013.


2015  The Museum of Vancouver sold the 9 Sotheby's models
      to Amsterdam’s famous 



Rijksmuseum Museum for less than $200,000 (U.S.).

      The sale actually was completed in the spring of 2013, 
      but neither museum annouced it till  June 1, 2015.
 


2016? The Vancouver museum plans to sell
      the other half of the models in 2016 when the 10-year
      waiting period expires probably to the Rijksmuseum Museum.